Recipes

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Minced Beef Cobbler

Another dish with savoury mince beef.............not quite a pie but with a scone topping it's a Minced Beef Cobbler. I guess you could also call it one-pot wonder considering it could have been any other savoury mince beef with a variety of toppings like mashed potato, a traditional shortcrust meat pie but it's the "cobblers" ... the scone topping that makes the difference.

I was wondering what else to make this evening with the rest of mince beef I had bought so seeing that I had already made a Savoury Mince with Pan-fried Potatoes for lunch. I was inspired to continue on with my tweaked beef mince series..... something along the lines of making a pie but not quite a pie.

I've usually made this cobbler with cubes of beef rather than mince beef and carrots but for this recipe I've used some more of those lovely fresh shitake mushrooms and added a mixture of two cheeses to the scones. 




Minced Beef Cobbler

300 g minced beef
1 medium onion, chopped roughly
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
6 sundried tomatoes, sliced thinly
8 fresh shitake mushrooms, sliced thinly
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp worcester sauce
3/4 cup tomato puree
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cup plain flour, sifted
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/3 cup mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp parmesan cheese
50 g butter
1/2 cup milk

1. In a saucepan heat oil and saute the onions and garlic. Add the mince beef and stir. Add the light soy sauce, oregano, worcester sauce and pepper and stir until the meat has browned. Add the fresh shitake mushrooms and sundried tomatoes. Add the tomato puree, wine and water and stir until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer, covered for about 10-15 mins until the tomatoes has soften and the meat has cooked. Remove from heat and set aside in a casserole dish.
2. In a mixing bowl, add the flour and bicarbonate of soda and butter. Rub in the butter and add the parmesan and mozzarella cheeses. Combine and add the milk. Add extra milk or flour until the a soft dough forms.
3. Roll the dough into a ball. Pinch 1 inch roughly shaped balls and place on top of the mince meat. Arrange the dough balls allowing room for it to expand. Bake in a preheated oven for about 15 mins or until the scones are golden. 



2 comments:

  1. What an original idea! The shiitake mushrooms would add such a depth of flavor to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a kid I never really appreciated shitake mushrooms, it was always the first thing I'd pick out. I'm thankful that my kids love it and I try to add them into most of my dishes.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails