Recipes

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Fish Croquettes

I was planning to make my mother-in-law's fish cake recipe today but I didn't make it in time to buy the spanish mackerel or what they locally call ikan tenggiri from the fish market.... so saving that recipe for another day now! 

So instead I made this Fish Croquette dish for lunch today. When I was making this I accidently added a little too much mash potato to my fish paste and decided to turn the fish cake into more of a croquette style dish. It was ok in the end because all the kids like eating mashed potatoes anyway and like anything with a crispy skin to it.



Fish Croquettes

400g fish fillet (I used a dory fish fillet)
6 small potatoes, peeled and cooked
1 small onion, chopped finely
1 tbsp spring onion, chopped finely
1 tbsp coriander, chopped finely
1 tbsp carrot, chopped finely
1 egg
salt and pepper
1 egg, beaten, for coating 
3/4 cup flour, for coating 
1 cup breadcrumbs (I use the Japanese style breadcrumbs), for coating

1. Using a cleaver, chop the fish fillet into smaller pieces and continue to chop until it becomes more like a fish paste or alternatively you can use a food processor to make the fish paste. I like to make the fish paste the old fashion way that way I can determine the texture of the paste, usually a mixture of paste and finely chopped fish.
2. In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients for the fish mixture, Using a fork, mash the potatoes and combine all the ingredients into a rough dough.
3. Use a heaped spoon to measure each croquette and shape it into an oval shape with moistened hands. I find it's easier to handle if your hands are slightly wet. Roll each croquette into some flour and then dip it into the egg and lastly roll it into the breadcrumbs. Shake off the excess breadcrumbs and set aside.
4. Heat the oil in a saucepan for deep frying. Deep fry in batches and carefully turn over on each side until it is golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Serve with mayonnaise or sweet chilli sauce.


9 comments:

  1. Wow! My husband will love these! They look beautiful, and I can't wait to give them a try. I love the look of your blog, and I'm excited to read more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very delicious. Looks better than store bought ones. I wish I can have some now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so very cleaver I have made hundreds of croquettes never fish ones....and these look better than anything I have ever cooked wowow`

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look really delicious and I like that it's a fairly short and simple recipe with interesting spices. Really love that the carrot is finely chopped! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for dropping by. I've always liked croquettes brings back fond memories from childhood...
    Well the funny thing is when I made these croquettes it wasn't my original plan but it's amazing how easy how a bit mash potato and the right breadcrumbs can change a dish. I love these Japanese breadcrumbs!
    My little food stylist helped with the photo and the first thing he ate was the spring onion bundle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have a lot of fish in the freezer that i need to figure out what to do with them. croquettes is definitely an interesting dish, so thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. was the fish cooked first? or was it raw when you chopped it up?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fish was raw but you can use steamed fish and just break it apart into small pieces.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails