Recipes

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Chicken Penne with Creamy Tomato Sauce

Tomatoes are always in season and most of the things I cook are usually tomato based. Fresh tomatoes or sundried tomatoes are welcome in my kitchen anytime. Lots of fresh deep red juicy tomatoes, rich flavour and good for you too!

For dinner tonight I needed something quick but simple to cook and I wanted to use some fresh tomatoes that I just bought. Chicken Penne with Creamy Tomato Sauce!!! A creamy sauce with rich tomato flavours serve with chicken and penne pasta. 


I

500 g penne, al dente
4 chicken thighs, (about 500 g) cubed
1 medium onion, diced finely
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped OR 410 g crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup red wine
1 tsp basil dry OR 1 tbsp fresh basil
1 tsp sugar
1 cup full cream milk or 1/2 cup of cream
1 cup chicken stock
3/4 cup of tomato puree
1/2 capsicum, chopped roughly
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
salt to taste

1. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Saute the onions and garlic until soft. 
2. Add the diced chicken and cook half way.
3. Add the wine, stock, puree and stir through. Add tomatoes, basil, sugar, cracked pepper and salt. 
4. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 mins. Stir in the milk and capsicum, simmer uncovered for another 10mins until the sauce thickens.
5. Cook the penne following the instructions. Pour the sauce over the penne and stir through. Serve the with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.






3 comments:

  1. Yummy! Your dinners always looks delicious, btw mum & i made chicken & leek stroganoff today for dinner & it was so tasty! Everyone had second helpings. It was our first jamie oliver recipe we made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I'd give it a spin on the plain tomato sauce and added milk and a bit of sugar. I actually had this at Upperstar and wanted to recreate it. You'll have to cook for me next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good! I will try it the next time my kids ask for pasta :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails