Recipes

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Buttery Butter Chicken

This has to be the final coriander infused recipe for the month....using up my last few stalks of my coriander. I've tried my hand for tonight's Indian inspired dinner a Buttery Butter Chicken and I'm went all out with the spices, even bringing out the mortal and pestle to grind them!!


The first time I had Butter Chicken was actually at a friend's Indian restaurant and it made a lasting impression...creamy rich tomato, spicy and oh so buttery. I just had to try and make this myself...




I've adapted the recipe from The Australian Women's Weekly Best Food Mains.


Buttery Butter Chicken


4 leg quarters, skinned, and cut into smaller pieces leaving the bone intact
100 g butter
3 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped finely
1 small onion, chopped finely
3 medium tomatoes, chopped roughly
3 tsp sweet paprika
2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp coriander seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground cinnamon
5 cardamon seeds, slightly crushed
1 tsp salt
410 g can tomato puree
3/4 cup chicken stock
2 tbsp vinegar
3/4 cup plain yogurt 
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup fresh coriander, chopped finely

1. For this recipe I've used a mortal and pestle to grind the coriander seeds, cumin seeds and salt. Grind until fairly grounded. It's hard work to hand grind the spices but the release of the spices makes it even more enjoyable to eat. Mix with the cinnamon, cayenne pepper, crushed cardamon and garam masala and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, add the chicken and cover with the spice mixture. Add in the yogurt, garlic and onion. Stir together and marinade the chicken for at least 3 hrs or more.
3. Using a large saucepan, melt the butter and add the marinated chicken. Cook the chicken until is has browned. Pour in the tomato puree, vinegar and chicken stock, bring to the boil. Simmer uncovered, stir occassionally and cook until the chicken is tender. Add the milk and cook further until the sauce had thicken. Add in the fresh coriander and cook a further 3 mins. Serve hot over rice or over some Indian bread.


** Traditionally Butter Chicken is cooked using boneless chicken but I thought the bones would add more flavour. When I cooked this for dinner I was worried that the kids would find it too spicy but they came back for seconds, so it wasn't that bad..... Like all spicy dishes it will probably taste better tomorrow, so I'll be keeping that for lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails