You make lots of Banana Bread! It's quick to make and you can pack loads of sweet bananas into a moist, hi-fibre, healthy, full of flavour bread.
It's one of those comfort classics that everyone has a mum or aunt making it. For me, the all time best banana bread is the one my Mama (grandmother in Chinese) makes.....
it is THE BEST!!!
A beautiful golden brown banana bread that's moist and delicious......ah but I can't give you her recipe (real family secret!!!) but you try mine.....
80 g butter
1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 bananas, ripe, mashed
2 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
**optional 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
**optional 1/2 cup sultanas
Preheat the oven to 180C.
1. Mash the bananas in a bowl.
2. Cream the butter and brown & caster sugars. Add the mashed bananas and vanilla essence and mix well. Add the eggs. You can add the walnuts and sultanas as well.
3. In a separate bowl sift the flour,baking powder and salt. Fold in the flour mixture, alternating with the milk and stir until combined.
4. Grease a loaf tin and line it with baking paper. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for about 40-45 mins or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave the banana bread to rest for about 5 mins before you remove the tin. Cover the bread in cling wrap and you can eat it when it has cooled. My grandmother would always cover the bread so that it would always stay moist.
Whenever I make this I would slice the bread in thick slices because a thin slice is never enough. You can also serve this like a cake by icing the top with a simple honey cream cheese frosting.
Honey Cream Cheese
125 g cream cheese, soften
1/4 cup icing sugar, sifted
1 tbsp honey
1. Cream the cream cheese until soft. Add the icing sugar and honey and stir until its smooth. Spread the frosting on the top of the banana bread. I use the same frosting but doubled on my Carrot Cake.