As a kid whenever we were at a chinese restuarant, one of my favourite dish to order was this Deep Fried Seafood Tofu. I've had it so many times but couldn't figure out how to make it, so with a little experimenting on the family this is it.
Deep Fried Seafood Tofu
2 pcs soft tofu
2 pcs egg tofu
150g prawn or fish paste (you can mince this yourself with a meat cleaver)
2 tsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
2 tsp carrot, finely chopped
1/2 tsp chicken stock cube
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
pinch of salt
corn flour to coat the tofu
vegetable oil for deep frying
1. Mash up the soft tofu and egg tofu. Add the fish paste, egg, carrot, coriander, stock, salt & pepper. I would normally alternate between the fish and prawn paste but you can also add both. Combine it until it's smooth. For this I usually use a hand blender for a few quick pulses.
2. Prepare a greased dish for steaming. Pour the tofu mixture and spread it evenly.
3. Heat a steaming pan and place the tofu mixture for steaming. Reduce the heat to medium and steam for about 20 mins. Remove and cool before cutting.
4. Heat the oil in the wok for deep frying.
5. Cut the tofu in small rectangular shapes and coat them in corn flour. Coat it evenly and dip them into the oil for deep frying. Fry until it is golden brown and drain on the paper towels. Serve them with mayonnaise or sweet thai chilli. I usually serve them with thick mayonnaise. (I'm a big fan of mayonnaise and Dutch frite sauce!!)