Recipes

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Peach Crumble with Homemade Yogurt

I've been meaning to post this Peach Crumble but I've been distracted with some of my sewing adventures... I've been bitten by the "handbag bug" so my blogging time has been seriously neglected but I'm back to my first love FOOD.


Over the Mother's Day weekend, I got my hubby and daughter to make a dessert for my mother-in-law and took a day off from kitchen duties to supervise these two newbies in the kitchen. I gave them an easy dish to make, something I've made timelessly and really simple to make.


I used half my Anzac biscuit recipe for the crumble which gives it a crunch full of rolled oats and coconut over a bed of juicy peaches topped that off with some homemade yogurt. Have it for dessert, a snack or better yet breakfast.... it's a yummy start to the day!



Peach Crumble




1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1/3 cup sugar
60 g butter
1/8 cup golden syrup
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tbsp water, hot
800g+ canned peach halves, sliced thinly and use 3-4 tbsp of reserved syrup

1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Using a 23 cm pie dish (I used a Pyrex Deep Pie dish), arrange the thinly sliced peach halves to cover the base of the pie dish and set aside.
3. In a large bowl mix together the plain flour, desiccated coconut, rolled oats and sugar.
4. Using a small saucepan, melt the butter and golden syrup  stirring over low heat.  In a separate bowl, combine the hot water with the bicarbonate of soda. When the butter has melted remove the saucepan from the heat, immediately add in the bicarb mixture to the butter mixture. It will probably foam a bit when you stir the bicarb mixture in.  

5. Sprinkle the crumble generously over the sliced peaches. Bake until the crumble is golden brown and serve with thick plain yogurt or vanilla ice cream.










Homemade Yogurt

900mls water
16 tbsps of powdered full cream milk
1/2 cup of powdered full cream milk
1 tub of plain yoghurt (starter)


1.Pour the water into a saucepan. Gently stir in the powdered milk and mix well until completely dissolved. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10mins. Continue stirring the milk to prevent a milk skin forming. Remove from heat and pour into a container.(Pre-rinse the container with hot water) Cover the container and let it stand for 2 hrs.
2.Pour 1 tub of yoghurt into the container of milk and stir until combined. Cover the container and wrap up with a tea towel and place the container in an enclosed place. This is to maintain the temperature. I usually use the microwave for this. Leave the yoghurt mix for 8hrs or overnight. The yoghurt would have settled and thicken, with the consistency of creamy thick Greek yoghurt. 
3. Remove the tea towel. Spoon out 3/4cup of yoghurt to keep as a starter for your next batch of yoghurt. Place the yoghurt and starter in the fridge to cool. Your yoghurt is ready to eat in about 2hrs.



3 comments:

  1. Wow....this is a lovely post...using Anzac biscuits as crumbs and homemade youghurt! On top of that, you managed to get your hubby & daughter to make this lovely dessert. You are just amazing! I better learn this important skill from you so that I can shake legs often :D I used to make youghurt when I was back home but not now. Very cheap to buy and also organic. Have a lovely weekend. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh Cinda!!! I love crumbles and I LOVE yoghurt and you made your own! Fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary:I taught my daughter to make Anzac biscuits awhile ago and since then she's loves to help out with making biscuits, plus the Anzac ones are her favourites. Hubby on the other hand was given the easiest task of slicing the peaches!!
    I love using the Anzac biscuit for any type of crumble it goes so well with all types of fruit. It also nice to use with apples too. Just slice up 8-10 Granny Smith apples and 3/4 cup sugar, heat it up and cook until all the liquid is gone and top it with the crumble.... I'll post it when I make it again.
    Denise: I can't live without yogurt and I have to make it. Thick Greek yogurt is no where to be found over here and way too expensive anyway. I've used all types of powdered milk over here and the best is Fernleaf (NZ milk). The trick is all in the timing and the milk powder that you use. It's so thick and creamy. The texture is like tofu fah or thick custard. I use it to substitute sour cream and even cream in some recipes! I even use it to make yogurt ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails