Recipes

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Chicken Mushroom Fettucini

I've been thinking alot about all the noodles we tend to eat whenever we got out to eat. Long, skinny, wide and flat. Eggs and flour.... is that all it is? There doesn't seem too much than that? But no.... every single type of noodle or pasta is different. Machine made or homemade .... of course you can tell the difference!

Homemade is the best! It's fresh, so easy to make and it cooks so fast... 3-4 mins.

I have a pasta maker somewhere at the back of my kitchen cupboard. Tucked away in a corner, clean and ready to use but this time I got a little lazy and left that quick handy gadget to rest for the day.....perhaps I'll use it another day because this time it's purely pasta made by hand... my hands! Roll it out.............

Chicken Mushroom Fettucini

1 chicken back quarter


150 g fresh shitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 cloves of garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped finely
50 g butter
1 cups of chicken stock 
1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs)
pinch of cracked black pepper
salt to taste

1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Saute the garlic and onion. 
2. Add the mushrooms, pepper & salt and cook until soften. 
3. Add the chicken stock, water and milk and bring to the boil. Simmer, uncovered for 10 mins.
4. Remove from heat and using a hand blender, carefully pulse through the soup to blend the mushrooms. Try to blend a majority of the soup but leave some slices of mushrooms too. It adds great texture and you don't want it to become a puree.
5. Heat over medium heat, add the chicken pieces and stir well until cooked. Add the breadcrumbs and cook until it thickens. It should be creamy and thick. Add any extra salt & pepper for seasoning. Pour over pasta and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.


Homemade Fettucini

1 cup plain flour + extra flour
2 eggs

1. Using a mixing bowl, add the flour and make a well in the centre. Add the two eggs and use a fork to gradually mix the flour and egg together.
2. The dough will be a bit sticky so remove it from the bowl and place on a well floured surface. Add extra flour to the dough and knead it into a firm smooth dough.
3. Roll the dough out until it is thin enough for pasta. Make sure you sprinkle enough flour so that it doesn't stick to the surface. Carefully roll the dough up and using a knife gently cut into 1 cm widths. Lift up the pasta and sprinkle flour to separate the pasta.
4. Use a saucepan and fill up it up about 1/2 way with water and bring it to the boil. Add the pasta and cook for about 3 - 4 mins or until cooked. Remove and drain. Serve it with the Chicken Mushroom sauce.



The base of the sauce is actually my Fresh Shitake Mushroom Soup but only half the recipe with Chicken pieces added to it.

I made this earlier in the week so this would be my first part of my homemade pasta week.

4 comments:

  1. Thumbs up to homemade pasta....superb!! I used to make noodles using the pasta machine but have got lazy these days. Have been eating rice most of the time. Would love to make again. It tastes way better than bought ones. Your chicken mushroom fettucine looks very delicious. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. now thats what I'm talking about....what a delicious meal that must have been!! and you made the fettuccine....I am so impressed...I have never made pasta...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brava Cinda!! Honestly I'm clapping here in my chair LOL I have never made pasta before and I know it's really quite simple. Shame on me for not even trying!

    Your fettucini looks fabulous! Wish I could have had a taste!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails