As you can see my inspiration for the past few days has been the FIFA World Cup and my little Gingerbread Bears have been turned into football playing bears. I really wanted to do some icing and have them in our favourite teams; England, Australia and Holland but I thought about it again and it would have been too much work and too much of a sugar overload.
My football playing Gingerbread Bears!!!
I've posted my Gingerbread recipe before but I've added a bit of mixed spice to this one.
125 g butter, soften
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 egg yolk
2 1/2 cup plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup golden syrup
1/2 tsp mixed spice
Preheat oven to 180C.
1. Beat the butter & sugar until light and creamy.
2. Add egg yolk and beat until combined.
3 Sift the dry ingredients and stir into the butter mixture with the golden syrup.
4. Mix into a light dough and knead gently onto a lightly floured surface.
5. To shape the gingerbread you can either roll the dough in between 2 sheets of baking paper or hand shape it. The dough should be roughly 3 - 5mm in thickness for biscuit cutting. For a quicker way to shape the gingerbread I would smooth out a handful into my palm and use a flour biscuit cutter to cut out the shape rather than on the floured surface. The dough can be very sticky so be careful when using the rolled out method and remember the flour the biscuit cutter before you cut. You can use a variety of biscuit cutter so to make it interesting.
6. Bake for 10-12mins or until lightly brown. The gingerbread should be soft and chewy.